Thursday, January 14, 2010

Randy Fortner





The Randy Fortner Girls


 Randy

 
 Randy with Grandma and Grandpa Johnson



Happy 90th Birthday Grandma!!!  We all love you very much.

There are a lot of stories to tell about Grandma.  For example, the time when she picked up the hose on the front porch, it was actually a live snake, her aggressive driving habits, her underground supply chain of Dr. Pepper, and many more.

If I think back to a good story about Grandma Johnson and I remember the time I was a freshman or sophomore in High School.  Grandma took us shopping with her, or took me to get something, or dropped me off to work, etc.  We went to the Overland Dairy, which was next to a big Target over in the Ronnie’s Plaza.  I believe Craig may have been with us.  It must have been on a Saturday and there were cars everywhere.  At the Target/Overland Dairy, the only parking spaces were way at the end of the parking lot.  There were no good parking places.  We drove around the parking lot about four times.  I think I said, “Grandma, let’s just park way out here and walk in.  She said, “No, I’ll find a parking spot”.  So, Grandma turns the corner on a long row of park cars.  Grandma spots a car that is going to leave and is beginning to back up out of a parking space.  The exiting car is backing up in the opposite way we are coming.  Grandma focuses in on the opportunity.  Behind the car backing up is a van full of kids.  The van has their blinker on in anticipation of pulling into this soon to be vacated parking place.  Well, the exiting car backed up, blocked the car that was waiting.  Grandma, saw the space open, speeded up to get into the 3 second old vacated parking space.  Grandma pulled into the space before the exiting car could put their in drive to pull forward.  It was one of the best car maneuvers I had seen in my life.  I was impressed that grandma would pull in front of the car that was still backing up.  As we were getting out of the car to go into the store.  The lady in the van that was waiting yelled at Grandma and said something like, “Hey, that’s my parking space, I was waiting for it, I have a car full of kids!”  Grandma yelled back the perfect line, “I SAW IT FIRST!!!!” and walked into the store like nothing happened.  I went to school the next day and told a few people the story about my Grandma yelling, “I SAW IT FIRST!!” at this lady in the Overland Dairy parking lot.  I told the story to a group of people in band, lunch, gym, etc.  So, for months, as I was walking down the halls in school, friends would pass me and say, “Hey Randy – I SAW IT FIRST!!”  There were even people that were saying “I SAW IT FIRST!” that I didn’t even know.  That went on for months, maybe years, at Mehlville HS.

I also remember how grandma would count her tips from working at Howard Johnsons.  There was change EVERYWHERE.  She was the most popular waitress they had.  I remember going to eat at Howard Johnsons as a family and Grandma would be our waitress.  Grandma knew every state trooper in Missouri.  I guess Howard Johnsons was the office away from the office for Missouri State Troopers.  Grandma understands the importance of family.  No matter what happens, no matter what people do or say, her family, children, grandchildren and great grandchildren are always welcome around her.  She is a pillar during tough times and a great lady.  Grandpa Johnson was one of my best friends growing up and I was his little buddy.  I am grateful that Grandma and GrandPaul are together.  Paul is a great man and part of our family.  I really enjoy spending time with Paul.  He’s my kind of guy.  We all love him very much. 

Happy 90th Grandma!!!

Love you!!!
Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment